Sports and Exercise
Please see my extensive article about Sport and CF (pdf)
Please also see my Pragmasis Fitness web site
Sport and exercise have played a huge part in my continuing health and fitness, despite having cystic fibrosis. I have taken part in sports almost all my life, despite ill health since childhood. In the 1960's, children with cystic fibrosis were not expected to participate in sports at all. Nevertheless, I enjoyed success in a number of sports including
- Athletics - with Mitcham Athletic Club including participation in a junior team that won a national sprint relay title
- Cricket - I played for Wallington Ladies Cricket Club, trained with the Surrey University cricket team, and was selected to play for the Surrey squad, playing one game for them. In later years I played for various hospital teams, and was an occasional player for Lichfield Friary Grange in the 1990's.
- Hockey - I played hockey for age-group teams at school
- Football - I played ladies soccer for the University
- Squash - I was reserve for the ladies squash team at University
- Tae KwonDo - I achieved a red belt in Tae KwonDo before being forced to give up due to my road traffic accident in 1998
- Aerobics - I have participated in aerobics since it was called "Keep Fit" and have also been doing Step for many years. In 2007 I qualified as an aerobics (Exercise to Music) and Step instructor. Details of the classes I run are available here
- Cycling - Cycling has been extremely important in helping me to regain and retain fitness following serious illness in 2005
- Skiing - I came late to skiing, thanks to the interest of my husband Stephen, but I absolutely love it. Living near the Snowdome in Tamworth means I can indulge my hobby quite frequently. I have also done a giant slalom racing course with Snoworks in Tignes (2006). In May 2008 I qualified as a BASI Level 1 ski instructor
- Nordic Walking - I am an International Nordic Walking Association Nordic Walking Instructor, and find this to be an exceptionally good workout as well as a great outdoor activity.
- Walking and hiking - we absolutely love active holidays, and we particularly like hiking and walking in the Peak and Lake Districts